It scares me and also delights me that 2012 is already coming to a close.
This year has been full of so many ups and downs. It has been without a doubt the worst year of my entire life, so far. With that being said, I have also grown so much that I don’t even recognize the girl I was in 2011. She was selfish, stubborn, and significantly less mature.
I lost a brother, my ex-fiancé, life as I knew it. But in their place I grew stronger, independent, and a new city that feels more like home than any place ever has. I ran my first 10k, 10 miler, and half marathon… I even began training for my first full marathon, even if the race itself isn’t until 2013
As painful as the year may have been, I am thankful for the opportunity to grow and become a truly better human being, through and through. I learned more valuable life lessons in the last 12 months than I have in the last twenty-something years I’ve been on this planet. One of the most important lessons I learned, is who my true friends are.. The people who will be there for me no matter what. The people who even if we go a few months without speaking, pick back up once we re-connect as if we haven’t skipped a beat. The people who will travel thousands of miles to make sure you’re okay. Those are real friends.
I even became an auntie to the most beautiful little princess.
So honestly, as difficult as 2012 has been, it’s hard to chalk it up as a total bust. With that being said, I am over-joyed that the year is nearing its expiration date. I couldn’t be happier that 2013 is around the corner.
2013 is going to be MY year. I know everybody says that, every New Year’s Eve… However, I believe it. I feel it. I feel it in every bone in my body. It will be a year full of more growth, experiences, and love.
I, like many others have put together a list of
resolutions goals for 2013. However, this year… They aren’t quite like a bucket list the way many years in the past have been. Okay, well perhaps part is
- Run the San Francisco Marathon – my first 26.2
- Express my feelings more often. I have a habit of never letting people in entirely and hiding what my heart says. Enough of that!
- Live in the moment. I’m always planning 3 steps ahead or thinking about tomorrow. Sometimes I have a very difficult time enjoying the present.
- Spend more time with family.
- Open my heart again. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean get into a serious relationship or fall in love.. But, after Zack and I split up I shut off the very idea of romantic interest. Shut down every guy who gave me the time of day, and ended up very lonely in the process. It took me until very recently to even have the desire to flirt with a guy… Which is bizarre for me, because I have a very very flirty personality, even when I’m not interested.
- See the bright side of things.
That’s it. A lot of these kind of blend together. I would say 2,3, 5 and 6 go hand in hand. Without one the rest are hard to accomplish. Now, I’m ready to scream it at the top of my lungs, 2013 I AM READY FOR YOU!!!
I hope that you all have a wonderful New Years Eve. I hope you have many laughs and cocktails, and sip on bubbly champagne. Please be safe. A cab is much cheaper than bail or medical bills.
What are your NON FITNESS related goals for 2013? What are your FITNESS goals?! Would love to hear both.